Tuesday 28 October 2008

NO Day

68 years ago, Greece said 'OXI' (NO) to fascism, on the 28th of October, 1940. Since then, Greece has celebrated two independence days, both of which are public holidays (the other is on 25th March). 28 October is officially known as NO Day in Greece: lest we forget.



On the eve of the commemoration, school children recite poems and perform sketches, re-enacting the events of those times; this event is attended by any parent (who isn't working, presumably, as the event is always staged in the morning). As you can see, I kind of missed it...

10 comments:

  1. Well then, happy No Day.
    Sorry you missed the show.
    Thanks for this lesson; I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that they commerate such an important and courageous decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most people don't know much about the history of other countries. I had never heard of NO Day. Thanks for the history lesson.

    An Arkie's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! thanks for leaving a comment on my blog and for your prayers!
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it...I've done some research and confirmed my hunch...I spent my honeymoon near Chania in the http://www.cretaparadise.gr/! Do you know it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their action was important to all of us.

    Thanks for your triple comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Visit my blog to see my post about our national celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing your country through your eyes, and also getting my history lesson. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this holiday!

    I hope the children were not too unhappy that you missed the show!

    ReplyDelete